Here are some fabulous quotes from the short film:
"We are educating people out of creativity"
"As children grow up we educate them from the waist up, then just in the head, then just on the left side."
"Many highly talented, brilliant, creative people think they're not because the thing they were good at in school was not valued or was actually stigmatized and I think we can not afford to go on that way."
"We need to radically rethink our intelligence."
"I believe our only hope for the future is to adopt a new conception of human ecology. One in which we start to reconstitute our conception of the richness of human capacity. Our education system has mined our minds in the way that we strip mine the earth for particular commodity and for the future it won't serve us. We have to rethink the fundamental principles in which we are educating our children."
Peace & Love.
6 comments:
Hallelujah... something l ~pray~ for everyDAY! xox
Connie,
You are continually challenging me to think! I LOVED listening to this video you posted. It is amazing how your idea of education can change when you teach art! I am learning so much and I haven't even started to teach it yet! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful find.
Anni
thank you Connie, that was fantastic.
That was awesome. And right on the mark. Your students are so lucky to have you and your ideals.
Ever since you wrote to Conor that his art is abstract, he remembers and will bring it up. He has been coloring and drawing much more. It's giving children belief in themselves, instead of questioning their abilities. I applaud your dedication to the children of our future.
Art education & creativity is indeed crucial in so many ways.
It litteraly saved my son. At the age of around 18 months, he was diagnosed as being Aspergers (high functioning autism). Through art, the special educator was able to connect with him and pull him out of wherever he was.
Thank God that we are in a generation where creativity is more appreciated (well, at least we're getting there) ~ I use to be an extremely creative child and teenager; I wrote, I drew, I painted, I sculpted. But I was surrounded by adults who supressed it ~ meaning that, when I was thinking of a future in arts, they immediately put a stop to it.
My daughter is gifted with "brains". She excels in math, science, language, everything; she also loves drawing, and is actually really good at it. I vowed to encourage this, and even if she could become a doctor, a scientist, or whatevr profession that is highly paying, if it's arts she chooses, I will be right there by her side.
Thanks Connie,
Carla
oh thank you! Don't you love him! I wish he was in charge of our schools and we could kick the no child left behind crap. My hubby found this video a while ago, and said you gotta watch this.
My head goes up and down the whole time I watch it. I am lucky enough to see what he is talking about everyday, because I get to do that - pick what works for them, complain about what doesn't and figure out ways to let that creativity fly. It should be that way for EVERYONE.
hehe. I don't need my soapbox around you. silly me.
Post a Comment