Death

I just got off the phone from a long conversation with Music (that's what I call my colleague at school--who's the Music teacher---and my true, dear friend).  We had a meeting after school today to hear what all the tax cuts mean for us---the "Specials" teachers.  I'm still nursing a sick stomach thing..and well, Music offered to go for the both of us.

Things don't look good.

Do they look good anywhere in this country right now?

We both discussed what the worse case scenario could be, and possible ways to make that situation something we could survive.  I know that no matter what happens I'll be ok.  But, it's still all this uncertainty of what will exactly happen, that makes my stomach feel like a flock of pigeons going wild inside.

There's talk that the state department of education might cut the Arts program all together state-wide.  To me, if that happens, forget for a second that I'll be out of a job--it's like a huge black cloud just blanketed over this state.  Can you imagine--a state with no Arts in the schools?  I know I'm biased, but doesn't it break your heart---that hundreds of thousands of children will not be making things, creating things, bringing home pictures for the frig?  Doesn't this really bother anyone---that this HUGE part of a child's development will just fade into air?  

Unbelievable.

So, what do I usually do in times like this?

Answer: ask my spirit guides to give me a little insight through the tarot.

Tonight, I picked the Death card.  Number 13 in the major arcana.  Some might think...oh oh Connie---but honestly, the Death card is nothing to be afraid of.  It is something to embrace with warm and loving arms. My favorite book on Tarot (The Tarot Handbook: Practical Applications of Ancient Visual Symbols) says it best:

"THE RELEASER, ELIMINATOR, EXPANDER:  One who is committed to change, metamorphosis, transformation, gifts in cutting through limitations, restrictions, and obstacles; desires to become 'even more' of oneself; desires to 'let go' of anyone or anything that is constrictive, and move toward expansion and growth.  This is Scorpio, who, like the butterfly going from the caterpillar to the cocoon to emerge changed, transforms from the scorpion to the snake, sheds old skin and becomes the eagle or phoenix bird.  This is the movement from the age of Pisces to the age of Aquarius.  When a person is drawn toward this card it is a time of major transformation, setting something new into motion and at the same time letting something go, cutting through the very bones, the core, the form and structure of the old in order to release the new in a rebirth."

My dear friends, this card could not be more true....more timely even.  But why is it so scary sometimes--when all the oracles and signs are pointing in the direction you WANT to go in, the direction you KNOW you are to go in....but still, it's that death, huh?  That death of a life you grew into, death of a life that has become part of who you are, death of a day--a way of navigating--death of knowing for sure.

I've said this before, and I am about to say it again....I think it's time.  

I just simply think it's time.

Peace & Love.

8 comments:

Barb Smith said...

I just can't imagine schools without art. That is beyond a travesty...totally unthinkable and makes me so very sad. *sigh*

How fitting that you drew the Death Card. Very fitting!

smile. be free. have fun.
Peace & Love,
♥ Barb ♥

carlikup said...

I agree with you & Barb, it is indeed devastating, indeed ... very sad. Did you listen to president Obama's press conference yesterday? He introduced a new stimulus plan for our economy, and starting today, he's travelling all over the country to start implementing this right away. He spoke frankly, and said things that are alarming concerning our economy ...

When I saw the Death card, I was actually quite excited because for me I always visualize it exactly how you have described it: change, new beginings ... this is definitely what is happening with you!

But indeed, we are comfortable with old habits, and we are afraid of the unknown (change), that's human nature.

Carla
XXXXX

Genie Sea said...

This is the reason I transformed the Death card into the Reincarnation card in my Tarot deck.

Death is grim and final and that's not at all what that card is about, as well you know. :)

I hope with everything I have they do not destroy the Arts program. If anything, they need to introduce more Arts. I find lack of creativity is plaguing our school system. In fact, they need to have Arts courses for the Administrators and teachers too.

Best of luck. :)

Unknown said...

Hey Connie, I see the Death card similarly - transformation and rebirth. Death is part of the life cycle, neither good nor bad... just is. It is hard times at my work too. 30 people got axed (in a psychiatric hospital). They say it won't affect care of people but we all know the truth about that. We must continue to be positive in rough times. Take good care :)

nollyposh said...

Schools without art would be like a country without a heart X:-(
But yOu have a big heart and that is all you will need to get through this Love to you my friend xox

Anonymous said...

It floors me how often this card is coming up lately in every reading I do, for myself and for others. The time is here for all of us, and for the world in general I think. Profound shifts need to happen, and it order for those shifts to occur, we need to let things go, let them come to their natural death so that the new has the space it needs to be birthed forth. Its a big turn in the road, and the more intentioned and deliberate we are in this process the more potent the shifts will be for our souls.

No art in schools. I have no words for this, because it brings up such a charge for me I have a hard time actually putting it together coherently. When will we learn that the arts are essential? sigh...

Unknown said...

Om Om! In the small beach community I live in (here in California) there is an organization called 'Manhattan Beach Education Foundation'. This is how our small town pays for the following programs: Art, Music, Drama, Special Education, and Physical Education for it's public schools. It might be worth looking them up and use their program as a template for your area?
In the meantime the Universe continues to open up to new challenges. Go on the winds of grace and curage in your heart.

Peace, Love and Bliss
Janaki

daisies said...

schools without the arts are missing a huge chunk of education, an important part of who we are ... sigh, that makes me so sad. in my city, there are more and more performing arts schools than ever before, my son goes to a school that integrates arts into all the subjects and has amazing programs in dance, music, visual and drama ... it would make me so incredibly sad to think that we have come so far in understanding only to take steps backward, sigh.

and yes ... honey, i do think it is time. peace. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...